If you experience a problem, face an issue, or need information to help resolve a difficulty in your working life at Ryerson, we are here to help. The Ryerson Faculty Association is your legal representative in all employment-related matters. This means that you have the right to:

● consult with the Association at any time;
● provide the Association with any information or documentation related to your work at Ryerson;
● request that the Association officially represent you in any dealing with the university administration.

There can be no reprisal or retaliation from the administration for your having sought the advice and assistance of the Association.

When you approach the Faculty Association, you will most likely be put in contact with our Director of Labour Relations, Andre Foucault. Most questions and concerns are fairly easily resolved with an email or telephone call, and Andre will be happy to help you in this way. The RFA can also provide you with advocates who can accompany you to meetings with the administration, advocate on your behalf, and represent you in any employment-related matter so that you are never standing alone against the administration.

Problems that are not easily resolved are usually referred to a Grievance Officer who will take your case on, and may initiate a more formal problem resolution process called the“grievance process” if informal problem resolution approaches are not successful. The grievance process is a well-established legal process, agreed to by the University and laid out in Article 9 of the RFA Collective Agreement. The RFA, assisted as necessary by our expert legal counsel, will work on your behalf to protect the rights afforded to you by the RFA Collective Agreement.


Inquiries to the Faculty Association are held in strict confidence. In many cases our ability to assist you will be limited unless we can discuss the specifics of your situation with the Office of the Vice-Provost Faculty Affairs, our counterparts on the administration side. We will not, however, take this step without first consulting with you.